Data Entry: November 2011
Gifu Prefecture Recycled Products Authorization System
- Purpose of the system
To certify a certain range of recycled products contributing to promotion of resource-recycling and waste reduction as "Recycled products authorized by Gifu Prefectural Government", and facilitate its use.
- Definition of terms
"Recycled products": products made wholly or partially of recyclable resources, and/or products made by processing recyclable resources.
*Recyclable resources: equivalent to "those useful among wastes, etc." stipulated in the "Basic Act on Establishing a Sound Material-Cycle Society".
- Authorization Criteria
Minimum qualifications for authorization are as follows;
1. Currently on sale in the Prefecture, or to be on sale within 6 months.
2. Produced by factories in the Prefecture
3. Made of recyclable resources generated (as raw materials) mainly in the Prefecture.
4. Produced in the factories with environmentally-sound technologies and measures.
5. No use of specially controlled waste (Industrial/ Non-industrial) as raw materials
6. Conformity with environmental standards concerning soil pollution, stipulated in the "Basic Environment Law".
7. Quality standards: Conformity with JIS standards and JAS standards.
8. Ratio of recyclable resources contained in raw materials satisfies the standards set for each item.
Authorization is not granted in the following cases;
1. Reasonable fear of misuse of authorized products for illicit purposes or violation of intellectual property rights.
2. Illegal or dishonest behaviors recognized by applicants themselves, concerning production and sale of the products in process for authorization.
3. Any other case which might be inappropriate to authorize.
Summary of examination is as follows;
1. Examined by the "Gifu Prefecture Examination and Authorization Committee for Recycled Products", consisting of experts.
2. Conduct examination of manufacturing process and elution test for risk assessment of environmental pollution.
- Certification Period
3 years from the date of certification
- Obligation of certified parties
Those certified are obliged to do the followings;
1. Ensure the conformity with authorization criteria through annual test/examination, and report to the Governor.
2. Keep the sample products (provided for test/examination) and the documents related to the reporting to the Governor for 5 years.
- Refusal of certification
In case of disqualification or cessation of production, it is required to express its refusal of certification.
- Revoke of certification
Authorization will be revoked in the following cases, and those who lost authorization cannot apply for next 5 years.
1. Not satisfy authorization criteria.
2. Meet the criteria of disqualification.
3. Authorized by illegal measures.
4. No report on amendments, tests and examination of products.
- Pubic announcement
Make a public announcement on website (homepage) when authorization is granted and revoked.
- Obligation of the Prefectural Government
The Prefectural Government takes the following actions;
1. Make an effort to facilitate preferential procurement of authorized products.
2. Request local authorities for priority use of authorized products.
3. Provide information and increase publicity to facilitate a wider use of authorized products among companies and residents.
4. Make a public announcement on its procurement status on an annual basis.
The Prefectural Government may enter the premises of certified parties if necessary, and may assess its environmental safety of authorized products as well as factories.
- Penal code
A 50,000 yen correctional fine will be imposed to;
1. Those who get authorization by illegal measures.
2. Those who are committed to misbranding of products
- Establishment of authorization system
"Gifu Prefectural Ordinance on authorization of recycled products and promotion of its use" was promulgated on 20 March 2007, enforced on 1 April 2007. The penal code was enforced on 1 October 2007.
Maintained by Global Environment Centre Foundation (GEC)